|Birdy and I sat in the sunshine and painted. Heaven.|
1) This novel. It is so good, it's kind of insane. I kept looking at the author photo on the back: she's like, 15 years old, and it's her first novel, and the book reads like it was written by someone at the end of their long life. In a good way, even though friends of mine just laughed at me when I said, "It's about this old guy? And his orchard? Not just picking fruit, though." "Wow!" they said. "Excitement!" What it's like, a little bit, is Little House on the Prairie for grown-ups, and at first I read it fast, in great gulping streaks, like I was famished--until I realized how good it was, and that I was going to finish it too quickly, and then I slowed way down and rationed it. I envy you not having read it yet is all I can say.
2) I have a veggie-recipe piece in this month's FamilyFun magazine. Don't look at the photo, though, because I am vain of my hair, which seems to have been put up with the instructions, "See if you can make her look like a pinhead." Success!
3) I am the new Modern Manners columnist for Real Simple magazine! So any bad behavior on Ben and Birdy stays on Ben and Birdy, if you know what I'm saying, and what I'm saying is: Don't out me as a person with bad manners. (Salad fork? Napkin? Wuh?) It's not really that kind of manners, don't worry. And there are some *excellent* questions in this month's issue. Juicy.
4) Ben is turning 13 in a week. What the?
5) Thank you for your kindness at the start of the week. That's all. Just thank you.
I'll buy the book. Thanks!ReplyDelete
Bought it and love it. I just started on part 3 and don't want it to end!Delete
Ooh, I have that book waiting in my stack of library books next to my bed right now. I'll move it to the top, I just have to finish Gone Girl, which is pretty awesome right now, too.ReplyDelete
Read your manners column -- and I love that your advice all comes back to being NICE! I really love this column best though -- because it's the real you, which is so much more fun and interesting!!ReplyDelete
Hey, thank you!Delete
That book is going on my library list. Happy fall!ReplyDelete
Ok, that's it. You owe me a magazine subscription. Now I have to get Real Simple? It's not exactly Brain Child, for which I still weep. Or WonderTime, which was the best magazine ever. EVER. (I still foist it upon unsuspecting houseguests.) Am I even going to like this thing? It seems so... simple. Maybe I should give it a shot before kvetching on your blog. Hmmm, manners lesson number one...ReplyDelete
Oh, I know. I DO owe you a magazine subscription. Kvetch away.Delete
Hey, don't worry, Brain, Child is coming back! It was bought by a reader!Delete
I LOVE Little House on the Prairie!ReplyDelete
I might cry right here. waa.Delete
I will put book that on my wishlist- I have been in non-fiction mode for too long....and those watercolors are so beautiful~ I am inspired!ReplyDelete
You look beautiful in the veggie recipe column! What pinhead? I will make my way over to search for the manners column next. I can not believe Ben is going on 13. Where has the time gone?ReplyDelete
Congrats on the new column, by the way. Thanks as always for putting your thoughts and feelings (and recipes) out there.
hey, thank you.Delete
you're welcome, dear. Quick question, is the book very sad, though? I don't think I could handle very sad, seriously... not that I'd need a happy ending or anything. Thanks for the recommendation.ReplyDelete
And congrats on the new gig at Real Simple!!
Kind of sad. . .Delete
I'm sorry if I've already asked this here (I have a feeling that I have) but have you ever read Unaccustomed Earth? Its not new (2008)But it is the only book I've read(so far) that I honestly missed when I was done - it felt like a friend had moved away - and the book isn't even very long. The way it ended actually caused me to backtrack and re-read the last few pages again - something I don't remember doing since my brother and I watched our bootleg VHS of Swiss Family Robinson four times in a row one summer day...way back in the day. :)ReplyDelete
Erin, I haven't--but interestingly, I had a similar experience with her book The Namesake, which I read in a crazy, obsessive way!Delete
Cool - and I almost forgot - fascinating Little House trivia: http://boingboing.net/2012/08/20/little-house-on-the-prairie-s.htmlDelete
OMG, I read that column every month and was sad to see the (previous, now) columnist say she was done. But now I'm thrilled to find out you're the replacement! I will definitely have to renew for another year, even though the school isn't selling subscriptions anymore (the only way, really, that I agree to get magazines anymore).ReplyDelete
Well, I bought the red dahlia Burt's Bees lip stuff on your say so - And I'm kind of obsessed with THAT now - so I may as well try this book! Thanks for the suggestion!ReplyDelete
Real Simple seems to have revealed your top-secret marital status ... Is the mystery officially solved? I've always loved your "I'll never tell" attitude about your marriage (or not) to Michael. That aside, I am so glad to have another place to read your work! Yay!ReplyDelete
Congrats to you! Cheers! Yay! I'm putting the book on my list! I have too many things to read right now- which is a wonderful way to feel.ReplyDelete
I happened upon your manners column when enjoying a friend's magazine on a girlfriends' trip to the beach this weekend. I thought, "Is that MY Catherine Newman?" And it was! I was happy for your new gig and enjoyed your take on the world of manners and not hurting anyone's feelings unnecessarily.ReplyDelete
I was just searching the Real simple website for you and cant find you :-( are you there?!?!?!ReplyDelete
I was reading my new issue of Real Simple and there you were. I was so excited to see your name, I filled out my subscription renewal! Can't wait to read your responses every month.ReplyDelete
Congrats on your Real Simple gig, how awesome! Thanks so much for a new book recommendation, too. I've been stuck in A Good Hard Look for awhile. I want to finish it but find myself smack dab in the middle of a reading rut. I also have leg warmers to knit and miles to go before I sleep. Hee. I'll save The Orchardist and savor it, too, I'm sure. And about those granola bars. They look scrumptious and whatever anger popped out of you during the photographing of them was brief and infrequent enough not to leave any scars. You apologized, too, and that holds great power. Worry not.ReplyDelete
Congratulations on the Real Simple column! I love turning the page of Family Fun or Real Simple, seeing you and saying, "Oh hi, Catherine!"ReplyDelete
Miss Manners! Good for you! I haven't commented in a very long time, and I know you have probably (definitely) already seen this Ellen Degeneres Bic Pens piece, but I think we should all watch it every day for a laugh. And then a cry.ReplyDelete
So there I was, eating chips and dip for lunch and flipping through Real Simple, and there YOU were. It was like an old and much-missed friend had dropped by unannounced, but didn't ask to share my chip dip.ReplyDelete
I LOVE your column in Real Simple. It sounds just like your blog, and just what I'd want to hear from a good friend. So excited to be reading you every month. I've been following you for years and years and love what you write. Thank you!!!ReplyDelete