Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gratitude and Holiday Recipes

Oh, man. You guys. Thank you for your comments here last week. The fact that some of us have been on this journey together for 8, 9, 10, 11 years? It kills me. It does. I also loved the advice not to quit my day job. I have seriously gotten tons of mileage out of that. 

I'm putting together a little holiday gift guide--mostly the usual, an assortment of books and games--that I am hoping to publish soon. In the meantime, here are a few links to holiday favorites:





I realize that I have never posted a turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potato, or pecan pie recipe here. And those are all things I make every year. Every single year. Like, all the years, every last one. But here's the sweet potato dish I always make. It's an old Gourmet recipe, and it's excellent. The apricots keep it just barely this side of cloying.

Also, if you're making vanilla extract as a holiday gift, now's the time to start.

Happy everything. xoxo

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Pecan pie and stuffing recipes, please! I kind of love my mother's version of the latter (Stouffer's cornbread with added onions, celery, dried apricots, and pecans) but I'm willing to try something a little more, you know, foodie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our bottles and our beans, and we are starting our extract this weekend! For the first year, we have a middle schooler (yeah), and there are so many teachers . . . Vanilla extract for everyone! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh! My family has been foraging for mushrooms for four generations - more than 100 years. I'll be making the Wild Mushroom Pate. I'm glad you linked to it. Thank you! I think I'm going to have to make it twice. One for me and one for Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. alison1:08 PM

    We made vanilla extra one year. I love when people tell us that they've used it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been savoring that essay from last week Catherine. Truly. It makes me soooo happy and sad to read. I choked a bit on the line of only 4 more years and then teared up to read it again. That. seems. impossible. Much Holiday love to you and looking forward to all your giftee suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Catherine... I just found this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but of course I thought of you: http://freerangecookies.com/2014/11/12/cranberry-quick-pickles/
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipes for Holiday Crudites and Crack Broccoli both made appearances at our Thanksgiving dinner (early because that was the only day I could get everyone at the table at the same time). In fact, my son wouldn't stop reminding me to make the lovely green dip, his favorite part of the meal, it seems.

    And the essays on adolescence...so moving, so wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete