Friday, March 05, 2010

And the winner . . .

of this lovely book
is

"lastdogz said...

The best advice...to sing to your child. I was told that singing improves your child vocabulary, and I have to agree, I feel like my 2.5 year old son has a great vocabulary. But more than that, I love singing with him just for the joy of it. I love that he doesn't care if I screw up the lyrics or sing off-key. He asks to sing all the time. It's just such a simple pleasure, so basic. I didn't, however, realize how awfully morbid all the old folk songs I grew up with really are. Check out the full lyrics to My Darling Clementine sometime.
I just posted my first ever comment on family.com. I'm greenmombr there."

Plus, doesn't that happen to be excellent advice? I actually do know the lyrics to Darling Clementine. "Dreadful sorry." Yikes.

Thank you for posting so thoughtfully. Did you get a chance to read through? What an amazing mix, right? It's interesting, too, the split between "take care of yourself" and "take care of your kids." Both important, certainly. I've been thinking recently something along the lines of "Make sure you're raising people whose company you enjoy, since you're going to spend a lot of time in it." I should have entered my own give-away!

Thank you all so much. And lastdogz, would you please email me your address?

I was actually thinking I'd take a picture of the on-line random number generator to show you--but I couldn't get up and get the camera (see reason below), so I thought, "Oh, I'll just use photobooth on the computer!" Um, yeah, Cath. Great idea! Like the computer version of trying to see your own eyelid. Instead, I took a photobooth picture of my great and furry encumberedness.

For a good soup recipe and an excess of self pity, please see my latest posting here.

And come back soon. I'm going to do another book give-away--a book of your own choosing--to use that Amazon credit we all generated here with those awesome book links.

Have a fantastic weekend! xo

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try out your soup recipe. It looks delicious! The kids and I made your pretzels last weekend, and they were a huge hit with all whole spelt flour. We *might* not have rolled them out the full 18 inches so they *might* look a bit more like pretzel-shaped rolls. Either way, we loved them! You can take a peek here if you wish: http://www.anartfamily.com/2010/02/lovely-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do a screenshot of the random number generator next time. You don't even have to move from the couch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the advice was great and I was reminded how sticking to the basics and using common sense and ultimately following your heart are always the right path.

    The soup looks great, I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teafortwo11:57 AM

    I agree that singing is excellent advice for any parent. I made up new words to "You are my Sunshine" for my sons to include their names. I sang it to each every day for the first two years of their lives, when I got them up in the morning.

    Your father's spaghetti sauce makes for some excellent lasagne as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED reading through all of the advice. I'm actually linking to your post on my blog because I thought the advice was so wonderful. A few of them really hit me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:57 PM

    I loved reading all of the advice from everyone--it's amazing how nostalgic you can feel when your kids are only 8, 6 and 4! Teafortwo--I did the same thing with my kids, and my oldest still asks for me to sing "the song from when I was a baby" every night before he goes to sleep.

    I don't know if you've read "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" but it is a beautifully written book by a first time author (!). The last 50 pages were slightly disappointing (the plot took an odd turn), but the writing was amazing!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah for new soup. Whatcha reading now? Is it sick and wrong to admit I just read a book that rhymes with...oh, crap, what rhymes with twilight? And liked it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Kate! Me, too! I've, um, sort of, um, read them all. Sick and wrong? No, no. We're investigating the hype and now we will understand all the references made to the series when they show up in popular culture.
    Yeah. That.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Aaagh! My Prius won't stop! Somebody call CHP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiffany A.10:07 AM

    I was on here reading the comments...not going to post one myself, just browsing per say. Then I noticed the word verification was "dingl". I just had to share why that is so special. My husband's nickname for me is dingle. Not very attractive, but it is said in love. Its a reference to my clumsiness and the cute way I "dingle" through things. I know its a little stupid but I like it.

    Isn't it amazing, the way we make up nicknames for ourselves and others? My children's nicknames are Beara (Cierra 6 yo), The Boy (Emanuel 5 yo) and Chicken (Alijah 1 yo). All made up for different reasons, but all done in love. Kinda like Birdy I guess :)

    And as usual, love your posts Catherine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. libramom100811:46 PM

    The two pieces of advice (which I now realize, are usable together), were the following:

    "You are going to make 9 million mistakes and your kids are still going to turn out fine." (from my own wonderful mom)

    "Forgive yourself...again." (from my son's first teacher, herself a mother of 3)

    Thanks as always, Catherine, for the food for thought, along with the food for cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waffles! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete